Dr. Kah How Koh
Kah How Koh received his B.Eng. (Hons.) degree from the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering at
the National University of Singapore (NUS), Singapore, in Jul. 2009.
He went on to receive his Ph.D. degree from the same department, NUS, in Apr. 2013. He was the recipient of the Singapore Economic Board-GLOBALFOUNDRIES Graduate Scholarship for the period of 2009-2013.
During his doctoral candidature, he contributed 20 peer-reviewed international journal and conference articles, including 1 book chapter. He also presented at several international conferences and received 4 Best Student Paper Awards. His research interests include optical MEMS and photonics, focusing mainly on applications such as variable optical attenuators, scanners and optical filters. He is currently a Senior Engineer at GLOBALFOUNDRIES, Singapore.
Contact Email: email@example.com
Awards: PGC 2010, OECC 2011, OECC 2012, IEEE R10 2012
- Chengkuo Lee, and Kah How Koh, Optical NEMS and MEMS, Chapter 14 of Optical Nano and Micro Actuator Technology, Ed. G. K. Knopf and Y. Otani, CRC Press Inc., pp. 405-469, ISBN 9781439840535.
- Yu-Sheng Lin, Chong Pei Ho, Kah How Koh, and Chengkuo Lee, Fabry-Perot filter using grating structures, Optics Lett., vol. 38, no. 6, pp. 902-904, 2013.
- Kah How Koh, You Qian, and Chengkuo Lee, Design and characterization of a 3-D MEMS VOA driven by hybrid electromagnetic and electrothermal actuation mechanisms, J. Micromech. Microeng., vol. 22, no. 10, 105301, 2012.
- Kah How Koh, and Chengkuo Lee, A two-dimensional MEMS scanning mirror using hybrid actuation mechanisms with low operation voltage, IEEE/ASME J. Microelectromech. Syst., vol. 21, no. 5, pp. 1124-1135, 2012.
- Kah How Koh, Bo Woon Soon, Julius Ming-Lin Tsai, Aaron J. Danner, and Chengkuo Lee, Study of hybrid driven micromirrors for 3-D variable optical attenuator, Optics Express, vol. 20, no. 19, pp. 21598-21611, 2012.
- Kah How Koh, Takeshi Kobayashi, and Chengkuo Lee, Investigation of piezoelectric driven MEMS mirrors based on single and double S-shaped PZT actuator for 2-D scanning applications, Sens. Actuators A: Phys., vol. 184, pp. 149-159, 2012.
- Kah How Koh, Takeshi Kobayashi, and Chengkuo Lee, A 2-D MEMS scanning mirror based on dynamic mixed mode excitation of a piezoelectric PZT thin film S-shaped actuator, Optics Express, vol. 19, no. 15, pp. 13812-13824, 2011.
- Kah How Koh, Takeshi Kobayashi, Jin Xie, Aibin Yu, and Chengkuo Lee, Novel piezoelectric actuation mechanism for a gimbal-less mirror in 2D raster scanning applications, J. Micromech. Microeng., vol. 21, no. 7, 075001, 2011.
- Kah How Koh, Chengkuo Lee, and Takeshi Kobayashi, A piezoelectric driven three-dimensional MEMS VOA using attenuation mechanism with combination of rotational and translation Effects, IEEE/ASME J. Microelectromech. Syst., vol. 19, no. 6, pp. 1370-1379, Dec. 2010.
- Kah How Koh, Takeshi Kobayashi, and Chengkuo Lee, Low-voltage driven MEMS VOA using torsional attenuation mechanism based on piezoelectric beam actuators, IEEE Photonics Tech. Lett, vol. 22, no. 18, pp. 1355-1357, Sep. 2010.
- Kah How Koh, Takeshi Kobayashi, Fu-Li Hsiao, and Chengkuo Lee, Characterization of Piezoelectric PZT Beam Actuators for driving 2D scanning micromirrors, Sens. Actuators A: Phys., vol. 162, pp. 336-347, 2010.
- Chengkuo Lee, Fu-Li Hsiao, Takeshi Kobayashi, Kah How Koh, P. V. Ramana, Wenfeng Xiang, Bin Yang, Chee Wei Tan, and D. Pinjala, A 1-V Operated MEMS Variable Optical Attenuator Using Piezoelectric PZT Thin Film Actuators, IEEE J. Sel. Top. Quantum Electron., vol.15, no. 5, pp. 1529-1536, Sep/Oct, 2009.
- Kah How Koh and Chengkuo Lee, A low power 2-D raster scanning MEMS mirror driven by hybrid electrothermal and electromagnetic actuation mechanisms, IEEE Intern. Conf. on Optical MEMS & Nanophotonics (OMN) 2012, pp. 236-237, Banff, Canada, Aug. 6-9, 2012.
- Kah How Koh and Chengkuo Lee, 3-D MEMS VOA using electromagetic and electrothermal actuations, 17th Opto-Electronics and Communications Conf. (OECC 2012), 4E2-1, pp. 255-256, Busan, Republic of Korea, Jul. 2-6, 2012.
- Kah How Koh, Takeshi Kobayashi, Huicong Liu, and Chengkuo Lee, Investigation of a piezoelectric driven MEMS mirror based on single S-shaped PZT actuator, Eurosensors XXV, Athens, Greece, Sep. 4-7, 2011, published at Procedia Eng, vol. 25, pp. 701-704, 2011.
- Kah How Koh, Chengkuo Lee, Jyun-Hong Lu, and Chii-Chang Chen, Development of novel thermal actuator for driving scanning microlens, IEEE Intern. Conf. on Optical MEMS and Nanophotonics (OMN) 2011, pp. 153-154, Istanbul, Turkey, Aug. 8-11, 2011.
- Kah How Koh, Takeshi Kobayashi, and Chengkuo Lee, Development and characterization of piezoelectric actuation mechanism for MEMS mirror, 16th Opto-Electronics and Communications Conf. (OECC 2011), 6E3-4, pp. 325-326, Kaohsiung, Taiwan, Jul. 4-8, 2011.
- Kah How Koh, Takeshi Kobayashi, and Chengkuo Lee, MEMS VOA based on torsional and bending attenuation mechanisms using piezoelectric cantilever integrated with 1x10 PZT thin film actuators, Photonics Global Conf., pp. 1-5, Dec. 14-16, 2010, Singapore.
- Kah How Koh, Chengkuo Lee and Takeshi Kobayashi, A 3-D MEMS VOA using translational attenuation mechanism based on piezoelectric PZT thin film actuators, Eurosensors 2010, Linz, Austria, Sep. 5-8, 2010, published at Procedia Eng, vol. 5, pp. 613-616, 2010.
- Kah How Koh, Takeshi Kobayashi and Chengkuo Lee, Torsional mirror driven by a cantilever beam integrated with 1x10 individually biased PZT array actuator for VOA application, IEEE Intern. Conf. on Optical MEMS and Nanophotonics (OMN) 2010, pp. 119-120, Sapporo, Japan, Aug. 9-12, 2010.
- Kah How Koh, Takeshi Kobayashi, Fu-Li Hsiao and Chengkuo Lee, A 2-D MEMS Scanning Mirror Using Piezoelectric PZT Beam Actuators, Eurosensors 2009, Lausanne, Switzerland, Sep. 6-9, 2009, published at Procedia Eng, vol. 1, pp. 1303-1306, 2009.