Professional Working Experience
1. Singapore Armed Forces (1978-1980)
Battalion Reconnoitre Officer
2. Hewlett Packard Company, Santa Rosa, United States (1992-1993)
Visiting Scientist (whilst on sabbatical leave)
3. National University of Singapore (1985-present)
Director, Centre for Microwaves & RF
Sub-Dean, Faculty of Engineering
Head, Electical & Computer Engineering Department
1. Journal paper entitled “Electromagnetic model of symmetrical
five-port waveguide junction” awarded Electronics Letters Premium by
Institution of Electrical Engineers (UK) in 1985. Paper also
selected in 1989 for reprinting in silver jubilee commemorative
issue of Electronics Letters.
2. Journal paper entitled “Theory of symmetrical five-port
junction” awarded Electronics Letters Premium by Institution of
Electrical Engineers (UK) in 1985. Paper also selected in 1989 for
reprinting in silver jubilee commemorative issue of Electronics
3. Journal paper entitled “Using least-squares boundary residual
method to model symmetrical five-port waveguide junction” awarded
Ambrose Fleming Premium by Institution of Electrical Engineers (UK)
4. Conference paper entitled “Are your network analyser cables in
a twist?” ranked among top three papers presented at 19th annual
conference of Automated RF & Microwave Measurement Society (UK) held
in Leeds on 27-28 September 1993.
5. Outstanding University Researcher Award conferred by National
University of Singapore in 1998.
Teaching Awards (National University of Singapore)
1. Teaching Excellence Award for 1996/1997.
2. Staff Achievement Award (Teaching) in 1997.
1. Prize Scholarship (1975-1978) awarded by Cambridge University.
2. Overseas Merit Scholarship (1975-1978) awarded by Singapore
Public Service Commission.
3. Overseas Graduate Scholarhip (1982-1985) awarded by National
University of Singapore.
1. General Co-Chairman for APMC'09 (Asia Pacific Microwave
2. Technical Program Co-Chairman for APMC'99 (Asia Pacific
3. General Chairman for IEEE ICCS'96 (International Conference on
4. General Co-Chairman for IEEE ISPACS'96 (International Workshop
on Intelligent Signal Processing & Communication Systems).
5. Publicity Chairman for IEEE GLOBECOM'95 (Global
6. Technical Program Committee for ICARSM'97 (International
Conference on Antennas, Radiocommunications Systems & Means).
7. Technical Program Committee for APCC'95 (Asia Pacific
8. International Advisory Committee for IEEE IMTC'94
(Instrumentation & Measurement Technology Conference).
9. Editor of three-volume “Communication Systems - Towards Global
Integration” published by Elsevier (Netherlands) in 1992.